Friday, July 17, 2009

Frugal Tip for the Day

Here’s a frugal tip I thought I’d share. One of my favorite frugal meals that we like to make is a fryer chicken. We usually get about a 4 lb. chicken, which runs about 89 cents/lb. at Walmart. (Sometimes there will be other stores, such as Food Lion, that has a sale on them for 69 cents/lb. ) They are so easy to make, and make a pretty good Sunday dinner, when paired with potatoes and a vegetable! After washing/pat drying the chicken, I will brush some olive oil all over the chicken, and then brush a Roaster Chicken Poultry Rub (from Food Network) on top. Then you just follow the cooking instructions for the chicken and then you have a delicious meal! Oh, and I forgot to mention, to make it even easier for clean up, I line the roasting pan with aluminum foil! TONS easier to clean!! After we finish our meal, I will take all the meat off…it’s easier to do when it’s still hot. Our leftovers will last us just about the rest of the week! Some of our favorite recipes we use the leftovers in include stir fry, chicken pot pie, chicken and dumplings, chicken wraps, quesadillas and salads, chicken tortilla soup, barbecued chicken pizza (AN ABSOLUTE FAVORITE!!!)…so many possibilities! So there it is! My frugal tip for the day. I just hope Tim doesn’t get tired of eating chicken anytime soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristen--No one would get tired of chicken the way you fix it! You have so many creative and tasty ways of using it. Thanks for your care of Tim and Micah!
Love, Mom Hill

cranny + b said...

oh wow--I need to try some of these recipes! And I just wanted to tell you how sweet that baby gift was--thanks so much for the adorable little sleeper and the gift card. . .I hope to get a "real" thank you note to you. . .but just wanted to let you know how much I appreciated your thoughtfulness! Hope you have a great week!